Tuesday 27 December 2011

You Know We Belong Together….

…You and I forever and eveerrrrrr! Don’t pretend you don’t know what I’m talking about. Anyone from the UK and Australia knows the Home & Away theme. And I bet you know all the words, don't you?

I used to watch it years ago when I was growing up but have lost track over the past few years. Still, when a friend mentioned that the infamous Summer Bay was just a short bus journey north of Sydney I jumped at the chance to visit.

Getting up at ridiculous o’clock and trekking into the city at 6am wasn’t too fun, but after grabbing a coffee and a Danish pastry balance was soon restored. Much to my amazement, a return ticket from Central station – which is an hour and a half each way - was only $8. Another reason I love Australia. An hour and a half journey in England would be more like £80! And it would be horrible. You'd probably have to stand the whole way. Anyway, we boarded our bus and were on our way!

The bus journey, although over an hour, was awesome. Bus journeys at home are generally quite grey and dull. I’m particularly thinking of a bus route in London I used to take which went through Elephant and Castle and past a load of council estates where people regularly got stabbed. (Yay for London!) This journey, however, followed the coastal road, winding its way up past all the little bays and brilliant ocean vistas to our final destination of Palm Beach, the last of Sydney’s northern beaches. And to make things even better, the sky was blue, the sun was shining and there wasn't a cloud in sight. Bliss!

Palm Beach itself is stunning. The deep golden sands and massive surf are exactly as they are on the TV, so you can see why it was chosen as the filming location! Our first stop was what can only be described as a photoshoot fest at various points of the beach, outside the surf club, in the surf, walking onto the beach, sitting on the fence at the top of the beach… here in Summer Bay I had no shame about how many photo’s I forced my friends to take of me posing. In fact, if I’d seen Alf Stewat I would’ve high fived him and asked him for a photo. But alas, this did not happen.

What did happen though, was a walk along the beach, lunch at The Boat House and a brilliant afternoon beach nap (one of my favourite things to do in Australia). On this day I was most certainly winning and I cannot wait to go back!



Summer Bay / Palm Beach
The infamous walkway 

The infamous fence :)


B.E.A.UTIFUL



Surf Club!

No comments:

Post a Comment