Sunday 28 August 2011

Becoming A One-Man Wolf Pack

So I made it! I’ve been here just under two weeks now and I haven’t done anything particularly disastrous yet (touch wood) which I think is an achievement in itself!

It’s a very bizarre feeling being here – I’m not sure it’s a feeling you can really explain to someone unless they’ve been in the same situation. All I can attempt to describe it as is an overwhelming mix of stunned fear and absolute contentment - when you think about it in a literal sense it should be terrifying but in reality it’s actually quite cool. Think of it in the same way as doing a bungee jump or sky dive – throwing yourself off or out of something should be scary but when you actually take the leap its brilliant. Or so I hear. I’ve never done either!

Anyway, hooray for me because I can now tick off four things from my bucket list – fly to Australia, open a bank account, sort out a phone and make some friends  (although this is a work in progress). I only just realised this a few days ago, but I actually got on both of my flights without going through the usual freaking out, crying and needing a strong drink (or five!) to calm my nerves. Maybe I was too preoccupied with what lay ahead or maybe I was too tired to care about the wing falling off. Either way, I got on a plane without crying or turning to hard spirits to help me through it. Check me out guys, I’m growing! 

Before I left England, I opened up a bank account and transferred my money across like a proper grown-up. Now that I’m in Australia I have a bank card and internet banking set up so I can spend everything I spent months scrimping and saving up for. Win! My phone has also been sorted. I’m on a rolling contract with Optus where I have to top up with $30 every month – pretty sweet, especially as all social networking is free! And finally, I have made a few friends who are doing the same or similar thing to me. All of this will feature in ‘How to’ posts as soon as I no longer have to pay bucket loads for internet time!

So there we have it. I’m in Australia and embarking on my One Man Wolf Pack Adventure! More to follow…


No comments:

Post a Comment