Friday 22 March 2013

Does This Bus Stop at 82nd Street?

Monday nights are always the same aren't they? You return from work, frazzled, collapse on the sofa and try to figure out how it's not Friday already. Then you give up trying to figure it out, sigh and get on with life.

For me, getting on with life usually starts with busting out ye olde laptop to see what's going on in the world. A quick glance at Facebook, Twitter, my RSS reading list and the news. But this Monday I didn't make it past Facebook. On opening my news feed page, I was greeted by the artwork from Bruce Springsteen's Born to Run album cover. It had been shared between two of my Sydney friends, with a note: "2 days to go!!!"

Whaaaaaa?

My memory flicked back to several months earlier when I'd received an email telling me Bruce was going to be in town - but I had no money at the time and it'd totally slipped my mind. Crap. I've always loved Bruce, and since watching the BBC coverage of him heading Glastonbury back in 2009, he's been on my 'People To See Live Before They/I Die' list.

So I checked Ticketek. There were tickets left. Good seats as well. For $180. Ouch.

Anyone who knows me will tell you: my favourite type of music is "dad music" - i.e. if your dad likes it, then I probably will to. Eric Clapton, The Who, Paul Weller... *coughs* Duran Duran. Bruce absolutely falls into this category and so in this situation I was like a moth to a flame.

20 minutes later, after a few texts to one of the friends on Facebook and a quick chat with myself about not needing to eat for the next 2 weeks, I'd booked it. I'd just spent my entire food budget on Bruce.

Two days later, Sydney Olympic Park beckoned. I met my friends for a quick pre-gig drink, then we dashed off to the stadium to find out seats.

Exactly 27 songs, 3 hours and 12 mins later, I was in love. I'd just witnessed a 63-year-old Bruce crowd-surf, dance his way through the masses, and knee-slide across the stage - all while singing some of my favourite songs. I'd never seen anyone command a crowd so magically before.

Love. True love.

On return home, my first task was Google tickets to Hyde Park Calling for this June. It's only £70 for the day and would happily coincide with Wimbledon. Totally worth the airfare, non?




No comments:

Post a Comment