Wednesday 31 August 2011

Things I Don’t Understand About Planes

Other than the fact that I HATE flying, there are a few things that I quite simply just don’t understand when it comes to planes. These are the things that have been troubling me since my flight to Oz two weeks ago…

1 - Toblerone  - why can you only ever get giant Toblerones at airports? It seems to be the same world-over. What is that about?!

2 – Safety demonstrations – I understand being shown how to use your life jacket and oxygen mask just in case the cabin depressurises or you land in the Hudson River, but why bother with a ‘brace position’? Having your head leaning against the seat in front is not going to help you if the plane crashes (although I’ve been told this is so that your neck is broken on impact which avoids any suffering). And bizarrely, if you’re in First Class, you’re told to sit in an upright position with your hands on your lap… as if that’s going to do anything except make you feel a little bit stupid! Someone please explain this to me.

3 – Cup? This is more to do with my Qantas flight to Australia. What exactly is this:


Is it a cup? And if it is a cup then why have I also been given an actual cup? Is it actually for something else? Is this an Australian thing? Admittedly this was a 22 hour flight and I only had a couple of hours sleep over that period, but I literally didn’t know what to do with this… so I resorted to using it as a rubbish bin.

thing with actual cup. confused.

4 – Orange juice in a pot – they always do this on flights. WHY? How exactly am I supposed to open and drink this without spilling most of it down me? It’s like drinking from a yoghurt pot. Why not just give it to us in a bottle?



Can anyone shed any light on the matter?

3 comments:

  1. You pose some interesting questions. I think the juice is more of a space saving venture (Easy to stack as bottle are not).

    The cup has me stumped. The 'Cup' with the narrow top would make sense for less spillage.

    And lastly I think putting your head between your knees helps with the disorientation if the plane is falling from the sky.

    P.S Also Toblerone conspiracy... Enough said..

    ReplyDelete
  2. ha ha! but surely it doesnt matter about being disorientated if the plane is falling from the sky... you're going to die anyway! it's all a bit of a mystery!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its fairly obvious why they the juice and the cup are like that, its so they can be stacked in the trolley...

    ReplyDelete